I find Capital District beer geeks tend to love or hate the local beer scene with very little gray area. Most of what I hear is something along the lines of:
“Oh my god, did you try Brewery X’s beer? It’s delicious. How did they do that?!”
Or: “Ugh, I hate that place. All their beers are rife with diacetyl or acetaldehyde. They don’t know what they’re doing.”
Or: “That place was great until their head brewer left.”
Or: “Ever since they got a new brewer their beers have been great.”
It seems like everyone I run across, especially in the comments section of this blog, has a strong opinion one way or another. That’s not to say everyone is a beer hipster or a snob (although some are), just that when it comes to beer made in Albany and the surrounding area, I rarely hear beer drinkers describe it as “meh.”
I hope it’s clear from the reviews I’ve written of local brewpubs and other beer-centric establishments, that I’m a fan of the Capital District craft beer scene. I started a group on meetup.com in 2012 that was devoted to exploring beer venues in the area. I also started a “like page” on Facebook and a Twitter account to promote beer-related news and events in the Albany area.
|A collage of some of the best beer destinations in the area.|
- What’s your favorite local brewpub?
- What’s your favorite locally-brewed beer? (i.e. a specific brew)
- What’s your favorite local craft beer-centric bar or restaurant?
- Are you excited about the fact we’re getting several new breweries (e.g. Ravens Head, Rare Form Brewing, Honey Hollow Brewery) or worried about market saturation?
- Do you find the average person in this area has good taste and is knowledgeable about beer?
- Are there any individual persons you credit with making our beer scene what it is today?
- How does the Capital District craft beer scene compare with other markets of similar size?
- How would you describe the selection of commercial beer that’s available here?
- What’s missing from our local beer scene?
- What improvements would you like to see?
- What is the reputation of the Capital District’s beer scene? How do outsiders perceive this area?
- What can we do to bolster our image?
- If beer-loving friends visit from out of town, where would you be most likely to take them?